Thursday, May 7, 2009

Errors

It's day two and I must already admit to a blunder, a minor error, a slip of the tongue. As it turns out, the universe probably isn't finite. According to observations and the acceleration equation, the universe seems to be flat and infinite. Yet, concurrently, space is infinitely expanding. Wrap your mind around that one for a moment.

However, even this theory could result from an error in calculation. If the theorists' attempts at developing equations to explain the universe are similar to my attempts at deriving their equations, error isn't just probable, it's guaranteed. At three different times Perera asked us to solve equations on our own and three times I failed to find the correct answer. I know this isn't rocket science, but it is cosmology, so please, don't laugh at me because I don't measure up to Einstein or Hubble. After all, even measurement is subject to error.

All of the material that is to be presented to us during "Measuring Ancient Light" is divided into two major and equally important categories: cosmology and measurement theory. If a scientist can't measure data accurately, how will he ever be able to say "I told you so?" This part of the class started with a thorough investigation of measurement error. It turns out that even seemingly basic designs result in statistical error (blame randomness) or systematical error (blame engineers). Through persistence, dedication, and a little blood, scientists have developed ways to diminish these variances through the creation of novel devices like electrical components which change resistance depending on the pressure they feel or nearly static cosmic radiation receivers which can sense pico-sized (smaller than nano-sized) particles and waves. 

From this we can derive this simple lesson: Even if your life is plagued with error at the moment, hard work will reduce the probability of these blunders and allow you to witness mind-blowing phenomena.

No comments: